The Welsh Government is committed to investing in a modern NHS in Wales and has appointed Willmott Dixon as contractors for the construction of a specialist neuro and spinal rehabilitation unit at Llandough Hospital.
This complex project will involve over 4,000m2 of internal refurbishment plus the addition of 1400m2 of space through the addition of four new extensions at single and double-height.
The new unit will comprise:
- a 26-bed spinal cord injury rehabilitation ward
- a 24-bed specialist neuro-rehabilitation ward
- a critical care service providing long-term ventilation support to neuroscience and high spinal injury patients
- a purpose-built hydrotherapy unit
- improved accommodation to provide better privacy for patients
- enhanced independent living facilities to promote earlier discharge to the community
- specialist clinical gerontology services.
Swanmac will be onsite during the Summer of 2020 to install over 200m of wall sheeting which will enhance hygiene by providing a barrier through which moisture and bacteria cannot permeate.